Upcoming Shows
02 Oct

Musician’s Network Meeting Minutes 10/1/18

Key things coming up:

  • Open Mic; Thursday 9/20, sign-ups at 7:30, show at 8pm; the theme this week is Octoberfest

 

Officer Announcements:

Heath (President): 

Hello. I’m Heath. We’ve been dealing with some heavy stuff lately, we’re working on a resolution to improve our situation as the new Campus Center designs are being finalized.

 

Claire (Vice President):

Once you’ve paid membership and practice fees you can come to me to book the stage or the practice room. The practice room has a code on it, and there’s a buzz card reader on the door (that’s how you’ll get in for your sessions). There aren’t any classes next Monday/Tuesday so we won’t have a meeting. Because of this we’ll be booking for the next two weeks starting today.

 

Nate(Advertising): 

If you’d like to help with posters let me know, I’ll be working on those for shows for the rest of the semester.

 

Mason (Equipment Manager): 

I take care of the equipment in the space: we have a new keyboard so please don’t destroy it because the other ones are super broken. Let me know if anything is broken so I can try to fix it.

On Sunday’s (12 – 2pm) Merritt and I teach a sound class where we teach you how to use the equipment in the space and set up for shows. If you come to sound classes you can potentially become an event tech and help run events in the space.

 

Andrew (Treasurer): 

Membership dues are $10 and Practice Fees are $15, you can pay dues in cash at our weekly Monday meetings at 7pm (either before or after the meeting). If you want a T-shirt be sure to pay dues.

 

Izzi (Minister of Propaganda): 

We hold an event called Groovy Friday which we do every Thursday out on Skiles Walkway. Come into the space 5-10 minutes before to go hang out and make music with us. There will be another Groovy Friday this Thursday at 11 AM. If you have an easy song suggestions, let me know and I’ll add them to the list – try to send them to me before Wednesday if you can though.

 

Elliot (Booking): 

I’m in charge of booking concerts in the space. If you’d like to help, you’d like to learn more about booking, or have a band you’d like to book, come talk to me.

Our next concert is October 5th, we’re still working on finalizing the lineup, let me know if you want me to get anyone, the theme is pop/rock/that sort of thing.

 

Eamon (Open Mic):

We have open mics every Thursday. Come check it out, sign-ups are at 7:30 and the show starts at 8. This week’s theme is Octoberfest.

 

Mitchell (Advertising): 

If you have pictures of bands playing here, feel free to share them with me and I’ll post them on our social media.

We do free music lessons here as well: if you teach you can practice for free. Come talk to me if you’d like to teach and/or take lessons.

The community playlist this cycle is metal. Come talk to me if you want to add songs, or you can add them on the website.

We’re going to be doing Styrofoam pop on Saturday the 6th. We’re going to start at 6 and go until we finish an album (as many songs as we can). Please come if you can, it’ll be great.

 

Leann (Secretary):

I send out the meeting minutes and post them on our website after every meeting. Let me know if there’s something you’d like to have announced in the minutes or if you’d like to include your contact info with a general announcement. I can also add you to the mailing list if you’re not already on it.

 

 

General Announcements:

Mason: Going to see Miniature Tigers at Masquerade tomorrow night, it’s going to be cool. Please come if there are still tickets.

Jack: Mitchell and I are doing a song show down at some time on Thursday.

Izzi: Next Thursday Minus the Bear will be playing their last show in Atlanta.

Jameson: The hour before open mic this Thursday the Music Listening Club will be meeting. We’ll be discussing Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder, Choose Your Weapon by Hiatus Kaiyote, and Psychocandy by The Jesus and Mary Chain. Be there if you’d like to talk about those or help select the albums for the next meeting. (6:30-7:30pm)

Elliot: On the 17th I’ll be seeing Django Django, if you’d like to join let me know.

Krish: I made a Musician’s Network Spotify playlist of bands that have been formed here. Here is the link: https://open.spotify.com/user/12122670206/playlist/7BA5sXmxfBNc8IlNYRrw99?si=EpVzWe2tTqeM9CdrgMMfJg Also, password::password put out a single, they’re on this playlist.

Martin: Having a show here Nov. 11th. Suggest songs on this google form: I’ll arrange and perform them at the show.
Chad: My band Dinnertime will be playing at the drunken unicorn Oct 12th, and my band Antarcticats will be playing Nov 17th at UtC.

Joel: Philanthropy music competition Nov. 3rd, there’s a link on the Facebook page with more information.
 

Stuff to Listen To:

 

 

Links: 

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/underthecouch

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/underthecouch/

Open Mic Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/695540757126237/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/gtmn_

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gtmusiciansnetwork/

Tumblr: http://underthecouch-atl.tumblr.com/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/underthecouchMN

Lessons: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Dfl7ekyEaCUNyHtAdghKdtT_H4AVO4UqH87fBLaJ2_g/viewform?c=0&w=1

Categories: minutes
Tags:
26 Sep

Musician’s Network Meeting Minutes 9/24/18

Posted by No comments

Key Things Coming Up:

  • Styrofoam pop! We’re writing, recording, and mixing an entire album Oct. 6th starting at 8pm in UtC. Everyone is welcome to contribute!
  • Our next concert is Friday Oct. 5th; as of now Delorean Gray and VEAUX will be playing!

 

On Monday we met with Lindsay Bryant, the Student Center Senior Director, and others helping with the process of designing the new Campus Center. Here is a summary of their presentation and the following Q&A:

 

SCPC and the focus committee have been planning out the new student center for a couple years. There have been a handful of meetings focusing on meeting student needs and administrative planning. A lot of this has been figuring out what goes in which buildings. We just finished schematic design. In 2015 we had workshop architect’s come in to research what the students want from the student center and they found 6 guiding principles. We’re going to almost double the entire space.

The Wenn student center is the building that will be taking the place of the current student center. Many of the existing spaces will still exist though distributions will change. We are also adding more lounge space and student organization spaces. We’ll also have a big food hall, a post office, and a reflection space.

In terms of layout, everything is still being decided. UtC is currently a practice space, recording room, lounge, and performance space. The practice rooms and recording spaces are very niche and these will be operated by MN. The lounge and performance space are also heavily requested by other organizations, which is why these are being implemented as generalized spaces. There is a plan for a space that could be used similarly to the performance space here, though it would be a general space it could host MN events. Currently, a lounge space between the new blue donkey location and recording rooms is planned, but this is not set in stone either. There will also be storage of some kind.

Currently this is a shared space between the student center and MN, in the new building the recording and practice rooms would be completely autonomous. The design space for practice rooms has not been finalized, there is currently a plan for two practice rooms: one individual and one full band, plus a control room.

 

Q & A:

Where do you anticipate us hosting shows?

  • In the little theatre, but also the bigger venue if you anticipate a larger audience, etc.

Would we have to move our sound system for every concert?

  • This is something we’re still looking into, we’re still looking at where things are, let alone how things function – we could include storage close to the stage potentially

Where is the stuff in this space going?

  • There is potential to design the space outside blue donkey with things from this space

What happens to Under the Couch the venue? The practice rooms can maintain the function of Musician’s Network, but we’ll lose the student run performance space.

How accessible will the shared space be for us? There are lots of advantages to having a live sound space and practice/recording space near each other. What would be the advantage of separating the two?

  • We’re trying to make the space meet multiple needs – by separating it, we can make a flexible space that works for multiple groups and helps in meeting the building budget.

Why should this space be getting smaller when the student center over all is doubling in size?

  • Though the student center is getting bigger, we’re also giving more organizations a space.

What is the plan to ensure we don’t lose the ability to have things like live shows and the ability to record them? With our spaces so spread out we wouldn’t be able to do this anymore.

  • We haven’t gotten into AV discussions yet, but we have talked about having a recording booth inside of the little theatre.

Will the space be shared with just student clubs or will it be shared with outside groups as well? For example, the space in West Village has been much more restricted to music groups than anticipated because it is being rented out and used for the Student Center to make additional money.

  • The way that we’re planning the design should make the student life complex for students. Student organizations will not be charged to use the space, and we anticipate other groups renting out the exhibition space.

How can you ensure that students are involved in the new Campus Center to make sure students are happy with the end result?

  • We’ve been involving student groups in the planning and will continue to do so. We don’t want to make promises we can’t keep, which is why we’ve been hesitant to fully publicize all new building information.

Is there a reason that the new building will be called the Campus Center?

  • It’ll be partially food, students, staff, and faculty, which is why the name will not be just “Student Center”.

Where is the equipment going to go and where will this exist in between building?

  • During the next year this space will be operating as is. We are working on a temporary space for the construction period; we are also working on storage space.

Earlier you mentioned the new plan is towards making spaces more generic, does this mean WREK and Paper and Clay are being generalized as well?

  • The niche traits of these organizations as well as UtC are being maintained, these are aspects that cannot be replicated in a generic space.
Categories: Uncategorized
Tags:
18 Sep

Musician’s Network Meeting Minutes 9/17/18

Key things coming up:

 

Officer Announcements:

Heath (President): 

Hello. I’m Heath. I’m President, uhhhh, I deal with big things, such as the petition to keep under the couch when the student center is renovated. It has not been confirmed yet, but we will likely be meeting with Lindsey Bryant, in student center administration next week at the Musician’s Network meeting. Please sign the petition.

 

Claire (Vice President):

Once you’ve paid membership and practice fees you can come to me to book the stage or the practice room. The practice room has a code on it, and there’s a buzz card reader on the door (that’s how you’ll get in for your sessions).

 

Jed (Advertising): 

I’m an Advertising Officer for the next 10 minutes. If you are in a new band for the new bands competition, please give me a point of contact to pass on to Mitchell. If you still want to join one of the new bands, contact me, and I’ll try to see what I can do.

 

Mason (Equipment Manager): 

I take care of the equipment in the space: we have a new keyboard so please don’t destroy it because the other ones are super broken. Let me know if anything is broken so I can try to fix it.

 

On Sunday’s Merritt and I teach a sound class where we teach you how to use the equipment in the space and set up for shows. If you come to sound classes you can potentially become an event tech and help run events in the space.

 

Andrew (Treasurer): 

Membership dues are $10 and Practice Fees are $15, you can pay dues in cash at our weekly Monday meetings at 7pm (either before or after the meeting). If you want a T-shirt be sure to pay dues.

 

Izzi (Minister of Propaganda): 

We hold an event called Groovy Friday which we do every Thursday out on Skiles Walkway. Come into the space 5-10 minutes before to go hang out and make music with us. There will be another Groovy Friday will be this Thursday at 11 AM we just got new song sheets with easy to play songs, so come on out. Also, I’m not teaching guitar lessons so email Martin.

 

Merritt (Previous Studio Manager):

The studio manager position no longer exists; instead you should email or talk to Mason (equipment manager) and if you pay your practice fees and dues you can schedule a time to use the studio to record. If you want a larger scale recording session you’ll need to pay an engineer $10/hr to run the session.

 

Elliot (Booking): 

I’m in charge of booking concerts in the space. If you’d like to help, you’d like to learn more about booking, or have a band you’d like to book, come talk to me.

Our next concert is October 5th, we’re still working on finalizing the lineup, let me know if you want me to get anyone, the theme is pop/rock/that sort of thing.

 

Eamon (Open Mic):

We have open mics every Thursday. Come check it out, sign-ups are at 7:30 and the show starts at 8.

 

Mitchell (Advertising): 

If you have pictures of bands playing here, feel free to share them with me and I’ll post them on our social media.

We do free music lessons here as well: if you teach you can practice for free. Come talk to me if you’d like to teach and/or take lessons.

The community playlist this cycle is indie.

 

Leann (Secretary):

I send out the meeting minutes and post them on our website after every meeting. Let me know if there’s something you’d like to have announced in the minutes or if you’d like to include your contact info with a general announcement. I can also add you to the mailing list if you’re not already on it.

 

 

General Announcements:

Mason: I have a friend who wants to buy an acoustic guitar, if you’re selling one let me know

Elliot: This Saturday “Breathers” is having an EP release show at 529, let me know if you wanna go. It’s 21+. I’m also going to see Jango Jango at the masquerade so hit me up.

Adam: I’m looking to buy an entry level bass japendry5889@hotmail.com 2052438049

Martin: I’m teaching guitar lessons, if you need to sell a guitar, my students need them, please contact me. I also have most of my songs on soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/martin-ma-118673980

Chandler: I’m gonna go see Moon Hooch on October 4th.

Krish: I’m working on a spotify playlist of all the musician’s network bands. Talk to me if you know people who should be on there. If you’re an alumni, it would be neat if you read this. krish@gatech.edu

Merritt: If you are a solo artist, or are in a small act, we have a studio that you can record with as part of your practice dues if you can fit inside the solo booth.

Antoine: I’m a Belgian music producer, I’m looking for guitarists and brass players, I need people to play things for me. I was also a DJ, if you need a DJ, ask me. alberkmusic@gmail.com

Jed: Organ Machines are playing a show tonight you should go to it. I’m also working on a solo project right now, I need cute instruments so if you’d like to contribute, please reach out to me.

Izzi: Midas the bear is doing a farewell tour October 11th, I’m going. Pale Waves is also coming to town, as is Mitski, I’m gonna go to that too.

Ian: Hey, I didn’t manage to sign up for new band’s showcase in time, but I’d like to sign up for a band. I play piano, ukulele, and a few brass instruments, and I’m learning drums, but I’m willing to learn something else if the band needs it. Contact me at ikohli3@gatech.edu

Mason: Nelward is playing live at wrek tomorrow at 10pm and its gonna be really cool so you should listen in.

 

Stuff to Listen To:

 

Links: 

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/underthecouch

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/underthecouch/

Open Mic Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/695540757126237/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/gtmn_

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gtmusiciansnetwork/

Tumblr: http://underthecouch-atl.tumblr.com/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/underthecouchMN

Lessons: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Dfl7ekyEaCUNyHtAdghKdtT_H4AVO4UqH87fBLaJ2_g/viewform?c=0&w=1

 

 

Categories: minutes
Tags:
11 Sep

Musician’s Network Meeting Minutes 9/10/18

Posted by Comments off

Key things coming up:

  • Couchella is this Saturday! Check out the Facebook event!
  • Open Mic; Thursday 9/13, sign-ups at 7:30, show at 8pm – The theme this week is “nature”

 

Fill out the petition to save UTC!!

In the next two years they’re going to be building a new Campus Center that will replace the current Student Center. Heath has been going to a lot of meetings/planning events related to the new Campus Center design. We made it clear that UtC is very important, but there isn’t currently a plan to include the space to the extent it exists now. They don’t say they’re getting rid of UtC, and they are including new practice rooms, but there is currently no plan for a stage/performance space. I had a friend who went to one of the most recent planning meetings and she brought up the issue of UtC. The student center director encouraged us to get a petition together to show our support for the space. With our previous convictions and the student center director’s suggestion, we will be putting a petition together.

There is a lot of support for UtC across different organizations and groups on campus, but we need to express this support by being as active as possible in voicing our opinions.

If you have any questions please email president@gtmn.org

 

Officer Announcements:

Heath (President): 

Sign up on orgsync and fill out this petition

 

Claire (Vice President):

Once you’ve paid membership and practice fees you can come to me to book the stage or the practice room. The practice room has a code on it, and there’s a buzz card reader on the door (that’s how you’ll get in for your sessions).

 

Jed (Advertising): 

I sent out emails for New Bands Showcase today, look out for those. Bands have a couple minutes after the meeting to meet up. We’ll be electing the new officer for my position next week.

 

Mason (Equipment Manager): 

I take care of the equipment in the space: if there are any issues in the space you can come talk to me.

On Sunday’s Merritt and I teach a sound class where we teach you how to use the equipment in the space and set up for shows. If you come to sound classes you can potentially become an event tech and help run events in the space.

This weekend is Couchella and I need help setting it up. Talk to me if you’re interested in learning about how this is done and helping out!

 

Andrew (Treasurer): 

Membership dues are $10 and Practice Fees are $15, you can pay dues in cash at our weekly Monday meetings at 7pm (either before or after the meeting). If you want a T-shirt be sure to pay dues.

 

Izzi (Minister of Propaganda): 

We hold an event called Groovy Friday which we do every Thursday out on Skiles Walkway. Come into the space 5-10 minutes before to go hang out and make music with us. There will be another Groovy Friday will be this Thursday at 11 AM.

I manage advertising and will be in charge of Groovy Fridays this Semester. I’m also trying to make flyers for open mic nights this semester, let me know if you’re interested in helping.

I’m also going to be teaching beginner guitar lessons; if you’ve emailed me I’m trying to pick a time that will work for a small group so I should be emailing you with more details soon.

 

Merritt (Previous Studio Manager):

The studio manager position no longer exists; instead you should email or talk to Mason (equipment manager) and if you pay your practice fees and dues you can schedule a time to use the studio to record. If you want a larger scale recording session you’ll need to pay an engineer $10/hr to run the session.

 

Elliot (Booking): 

I’m in charge of booking concerts in the space. If you’d like to help, you’d like to learn more about booking, or have a band you’d like to book, come talk to me.

This Saturday is Couchella. It will be at Peter’s Parking Deck (across from the stadium). More concert details can be found on Facebook.

 

Eamon (Open Mic):

We have open mics every Thursday. This week’s theme is nature. Come check it out, sign-ups are at 7:30 and the show starts at 8.

 

Mitchell (Advertising): 

If you have pictures of bands playing here, feel free to share them with me and I’ll post them on our social media.

We do free music lessons here as well: if you teach you can practice for free. Come talk to me if you’d like to teach and/or take lessons.

The community playlist this cycle is indie.

 

Leann (Secretary):

I send out the meeting minutes and post them on our website after every meeting. Let me know if there’s something you’d like to have announced in the minutes or if you’d like to include your contact info with a general announcement. I can also add you to the mailing list if you’re not already on it.

 

 

General Announcements:

Martin: I’m teaching guitar lessons

Heath: Password::password is playing a show this friday; it’s at 529 (and may be 21 & up)

Jed: The organ machines and wolfsengreen are playing a show next monday at Smith’s Olde Bar

Elliot: Breathers are doing an LP release show at 529, you should go

Mitchell: My band Sugar Shock just released an EP, you should check it out!

Nate: Tiger’s Jaw, has an anniversary show next Tuesday at the Masquerade talk to me to car pool. Pale Waves is Nov 5th

Ruby: If anyone knows where I can buy a mic let me know

Mason: Of Montreal’s show may not be 21+, let me know if you’re interested in going

Jack: I have a 6 string base I’m trying to sell

Spencer: Dead Sara is playing at the Masquerade on Saturday; I’m a drummer/bassist and I’m looking to play in a band (ideally on drums)

Music Listening club started meeting last week. If you’d like to come discuss them/nominate new albums our next meeting is Thursday before open mic

 

 

Stuff to Listen To:

 

 

 

Links: 

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/underthecouch

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/underthecouch/

Open Mic Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/695540757126237/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/gtmn_

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gtmusiciansnetwork/

Tumblr: http://underthecouch-atl.tumblr.com/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/underthecouchMN

Lessons: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Dfl7ekyEaCUNyHtAdghKdtT_H4AVO4UqH87fBLaJ2_g/viewform?c=0&w=1

 

 

 

Categories: minutes
Tags: